Monday, September 21, 2009

Response to HOT blogging article

Imagine! Asking the students how to use the blogs more thoughtfully! Why do I tend to think that I have to come up with all the ideas? I don't have to have everything mapped out before I begin to use Think.com with students. Allow them to create.

It makes sense to do Reading Responses on blogs. Last year students wrote weekly reading response letters about their independent reading in notebooks. Guess who read and responded to them? Only me! Writing their responses on Think.com will have 2 advantages: other students can read their responses and I don't have to bring home all those notebooks.

Mary Kruel's Fourth Grade Blog (referenced in the article) is a great example of an elementary blog. I love the visitor's map, photos of her room, and examples of what they're doing in class (Respect looks like/sounds like chart).

I think I'll pass this article onto Molly Schroeder (our District Tech Teacher). She might share it with teachers to help them think through the steps of planning a classroom blog or webpage.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of asking your students how THEY think they can use their blogs. Try it and report back :) I can't wait to hear the ideas they come up with! And apparently I need to check out Zach's think.com site. How did I miss that last week?

    ReplyDelete