Sunday, September 20, 2009

Minnesota's Largest Lumberjack


A few weeks ago, we were visiting relatives near Pequot Lakes, MN when we happened upon the Paul Bunyan Scenic Byway. Who knew that this legendary figure had such a claim to fame?
My admiration for Mr. Bunyan started when I was just 6 years old. While on a family trip to Brainerd, we stopped to greet the humongous talking Paul Bunyan who knew my name! What a Guy!

As I plan my Minnesota history and geography unit in grade 4, this website is worth a visit. Capitalize on Paul's fame to intrigue students and lure them into learning more about the Land of 10,000 Lakes!

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to sign in, so I lost my comments. Let's see if I can remember them.

    So, would you want your class to write tall tales in a digital storytelling format? We've done tall tales before; fourth graders, as you well know, love humor and exaggeration. Would putting the stories into a 21st century format blow everyone's mind?

    I'm also thinking about the Historical Society website we've used for years to study Minnesota (www.mnhs.org). Is it time for a 21st century 'upgrade'? Maybe, shopkeeper's lists you coud manipulate as you traded for furs, or one Voki telling the Dakota's view of the Conflict of 1862 and another giving the settlers? Or would the students create their own?

    ReplyDelete