Blogging has been a fascinating experience. It has opened my eyes to a whole new genre of writing that I will continue to pursue both professionally and personally. Responding to video, text and other multimedia provided an open-ended venue for reflections and inquiry.
I think that Blogging allows for constructivism: creating our own meaning. In a web search for definitions of constructivism, I read that "the teaching practices considered constructivist (include): Teachers seek and value students' points of view, structure lessons to challenge students' suppositions, recognize that students must see relevance in the curriculum, plan lessons around big ideas..." (Marge Sherer. November 1999. Educational Leadership) That describes our webposts. I felt free to focus my reflections on what was meaningful and relevant for me, veering off into tangents, beginning my own inquiries related to the big ideas in Jenkins and Beach.
I wonder, how can I use blogging as a tool for students? Social studies is a great place to start. In S.S., I want kids, to wonder, ask questions, and begin their own inquiries. If I give them resources to explore, they can respond, wonder, question, and research answers. I just need to define the "big ideas" in my MN history unit: change over time, trade, conflict...I am going to change my digital writing project to something more valuable to my students: a Think.com blog that I can use as a model for students as they begin to create their own blogs related to MN history. It will include voicethread on voyageurs but a whole lot more. I hope to use it as a tool for student learning.
My awards for my blog postings:
Design: The geocaching voicethread was fun to create: culling through hundreds of digital photos to decide how to tell a story.
Professionalism: Response to "Teaching the Neglected R." Thomas Newkirk's text was so thought-provoking and affirming.
Creativity: Reflections on Ning . The online roleplay was my favorite project of the class. It felt like playing.
My people's choice award goes to Elizabeth for her voicethread: Letters Home. Elizabeth created a powerful story as a soldier writing home to his brother.
I have enjoyed viewing the blogs of my classmates: from Isa's beautiful Lake Superior photos to Debi's clever titles and musings. I admire Joann's passion for the Peace Bridge and rejoice with Molly as she creates her Bun in the Oven blog. What a wonderful learning community we have in this cohort.
Tuesday, November 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Janice,
ReplyDeleteWatching you struggle with using our new technological tools for a topic near and dear to a fourth grade teacher has been an inspiration. I love the Minnesota unit but had gotten a little tired of the way we've done it. I hope you will share your final wiki/blog/Think with me and others.
I have enjoyed following your blog and getting to know you better.
I love how thoughtful you are in your posts Janice :) I appreciate reading your classroom teacher perspective and how gung-ho you are about incorporating new digital tools into your classroom. You sound so optimistic about how to make digital projects work with a bunch of students, and I definitely need some of that optimism in my life! I hope to continue eavesdropping (digitally) on your blogging and classroom projects and all that good stuff.
ReplyDelete