Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Role playing

Storypaths are a great example of role playing problem-solving with social studies content. I've helped second graders become scientists on an underwater sea lab, third graders become townspeople wrestling with a decision about build a shopping mall, and fifth graders playing the roles of Boston colonists responding to the events leading up to the American Revolution. I've noticed that in role plays, students become actively and sometimes passionately involved in their roles. Sometimes students who are shy come forward to volunteer as leaders, showing a whole different personality in their role.

I wonder if State Studies: The Visitor's Center is available to fourth grade as a framework for studying regions?

I've also used short (3 minute) role plays for acting out social situations, either proactively or in response to conflicts. Some role plays I've done with kids: asking someone to play, what to say if someone says no, how to respond to put-downs... Responsive classroom includes roleplays as part of collaborative problem solving.

I look forward to our online role play. After experiencing it, I will consider ways that this could work in grade 4.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm...storypaths. I'm not sure we do those at Concord. Isn't it interesting what kinds of things seem like an integral part of a school and curriculum and then you find out that it only happens at your building? I'll have ask you more about it tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted about Storypaths as well: their structure is truly a simulation of real-life problem-solving (BTW, you should have the State Studies storypath in your building).

    I wish someone would create an online component to the Storypaths: for example, kids could easily manipulate Main Street's elements to show the various community options they are considering.

    P.S. Debi, the Storypaths are district adopted materials for Social Studies. There is one or two Storypaths in place at each grade level. I'd be happy to show you one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Storypaths looks like a wonderful resource. (Thank you for introducing me to it). I think that you, Debi, and Isa should all collaborate and design an online version. :-)

    ReplyDelete